Boating is a popular pastime in British Columbia, providing a chance to enjoy the great outdoors and spend time with friends and family. Enjoying our lakes and rivers is a lot of fun but also requires every boater to be safe and responsible. For everyone’s sake, Be #WakeAware.
- Inexperienced swimmers can be toppled by boat wakes
- Smaller crafts including canoes and small fishing boats can be capsized by boat wakes
- Boat wakes can cause shoreline erosion
- Nesting birds along the shoreline can have their young birds drowned, particularly in May and June
- Boat wakes can cause damage to docks and moored boats
- Wake can be disruptive to neighbours